Sunday, November 4, 2007

Work.

Hard at work this evening on my next project - a fun vampire/summer camp romp. It will be a bit of an epistolary novel, told both in letter and diary form.

In addition to writing the book, I've agreed to manage the project. I'm working with the publisher to develop a working schedule, find and sign artists and build a marketing plan. It's the kind of thing I love to be involved with.

This evening, I'm working on the outline. It's coming along nicely, with enough material to throw out an initial sizzle piece. It will go something like this:

"On the summer of her 14th birthday, Keri’s parents drag her from her bustling Chicago lifestyle and send her to summer camp in Wisconsin. Keri struggles to discover the rhythms of camp Ohnita and fit in with the rich kids, the jocks and the losers. Her curiosity is piqued when she learns that four campers have come down with a strange illness after sneaking out to explore the “haunted house” at the edge of camp property. Things get complicated when she earns the unexpected attention of two gorgeous boys: Will is tan, rugged and athletic. Mark is tall, pale, graceful and…a vampire? Keri must unravel the mystery of the illness that’s threatening camp Ohnita and make a choice between her two handsome admirers…before the end of summer camp!"

UPDATE: I have landed on a name for the protagonist - Keri Harman. It's a nice little anagram of Mina Harker, the character in Bram Stoker's "Dracula"who the tale revolves around. Similarly, I'm planning a couple other key allusions: A Hellsing reference and some key summer reading fiction.