Sunday, July 15, 2007

Mike Carey.

I've been reading Mike Carey's work for a while now. From his work on Hellblazer, his standalone book Inferno and the seminal run on Lucifer.

Mike is a great writer, bringing a wealth of lyricism and world mythology to the page.

More than a year ago I spoke with some folks from Warner Books about Mike. I'd actually told a number of publishers - get a novel out of this guy! He's brilliant! Warner, perhaps through its affiliations with DC and Vertigo comics, did so. They bought the first book in Felix Castor series, The Devil You Know, releasing it as a hardcover here in the states (it was released as a paperback original in the UK some time ago). There are three books completed in the series, and Mike says there's three more to come. It's blurbed by Richard Morgan and Mike Mignola, so you know it's good stuff.

The book is just out and Mike is touring. I had the chance to shake his hand at Ann Arbor's own Vault of Midnight, the best comic shop in the area.